Monday, May 5, 2008

The Numbers Game...and more Funky Mama news...


Hi all.

Thanks to those moms (and dad) who came to my gig this morning at the Lenexa Community Center. I appreciate it a bunch!
Thanks to Pam for sharing some pics from the morning. Check out the jump from Ms. Lyda!

Anyhoo...
If you happen to pick up a copy of 435 South Magazine, there I am--smack dab in the middle of the cover! It's got some great articles about area moms, so try and pick one up.
ALSO, next month, KC Parent is running features on Funky Mama, Mr. Stinkyfeet Jim Cosgrove, Dino O' Dell, and The Doo-Dads. We all are featured on the cover in CARTOON form! Should be cool! Also, in the June issue, you can enter to win one of my new MOO JUICE CDs. Lots of fun things a'comin'...

Now a mommy note~ My 4-year-old has been struggling with recognizing his numbers, so I came up with a game. Really simple stuff. I got a deck of Uno cards and mixed them up. I get 2 of each number (1 follows a 1, a 2 follows a 2, etc.) so he'd get some repetitions.
3's and 7's, for some reason, trip him up, so I came up with a little phrase for each. Maybe it can help your kids, too.
For 7, I trace it and say, "You walk across the top and you SLIDE DOWN number 7!" Now, HE GETS IT!
For 3, I trace each level of the number and say, "I have 3 fingers, 1-2-3." That worked, too!
Now for 6 and 9, remember 9 has a "big head" and 6 has a "big belly." We practice before nap and bedtime. Hope it helps!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

What a great idea! You are too creative...which makes us like you even more!

You'll be glad to know that we have now listened to Moo Juice about 740 times. And we still love it!

You rock!

Anonymous said...

Krista- It's Lindsay (think back to your KMBC days...) I just wanted to drop in and tell you I saw your 435 article and LOVED it! The pic with the gown, kid and guitar is an all-time classic.

Lovely article too...on all four of you!

I'll bring the kiddies to a concert soon. It's been too long!